CBO has a panel of economic advisers consisting of widely recognized experts. Members of CBO’s panels of advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives so that the agency can gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. Their areas of expertise include macroeconomics and forecasting, international economics, public finance, labor economics, and financial markets. They have experience working in the private sector, the executive branch, the Federal Reserve system, and economic research. Members of this panel generally serve two-year terms, and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through these interactions, CBO benefits from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and their reviews of the agency’s economic forecasts. As a result, the quality of CBO’s analysis of the economy is greatly enhanced. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
Katharine G. Abraham, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Survey Methodology and Director of the Maryland Center for Economics and Policy, University of Maryland
Alan J. Auerbach, Ph.D.
- Robert D. Burch Professor of Economics and Law, University of California, Berkeley
David Autor, Ph.D.
- Ford Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Olivier Blanchard, Ph.D.
- C. Fred Bergsten Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
Markus K. Brunnermeier, Ph.D.
- Edwards S. Sanford Professor of Economics, Princeton University
Mary C. Daly, Ph.D.
- Senior Vice President and Associate Director of Research, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
Steven J. Davis, Ph.D.
- William H. Abbott Professor of International Business and Economics, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
Kathryn Dominguez, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Public Policy, University of Michigan
Robert E. Hall, Ph.D.
- Robert and Carole McNeil Hoover Senior Fellow and Professor of Economics, Stanford University
Jan Hatzius, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Goldman Sachs
Donald L. Kohn, Ph.D.
- Robert S. Kerr Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
Nellie Liang, Ph.D.
- Miriam K. Carliner Senior Fellow in Economic Studies, The Brookings Institution
N. Gregory Mankiw, Ph.D.
- Robert M. Beren Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Author, Cengage Learning
- Author, Macmillan Publishers
Emi Nakamura, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of Business and Economics, Columbia University
Jonathan A. Parker, Ph.D.
- Robert C. Merton (1970) Professor of Finance, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Adam S. Posen, Ph.D.
- President, Peterson Institute for International Economics
James M. Poterba, Ph.D.
- Mitsui Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Independent Trustee, College Retirement Equity Fund (CREF) and TIAA-CREF Mutual Funds
Valerie A. Ramey, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, University of California, San Diego
Brian Sack, Ph.D.
- Director of Global Economics, D. E. Shaw Group
Robert Shimer, Ph.D.
- Alvin H. Baum Professor in Economics and the College, University of Chicago
James Stock, Ph.D.
- Harold Hitchings Burbank Professor of Political Economy, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
Kevin Warsh, J.D.
- Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institution
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
- Adviser, Duquesne Family Office
- Board of Directors, United Parcel Service
- Other work for Brevan Howard, Cerebus Capital Management, Goldentree Asset Management, and Heitman Asset Management
Mark Zandi, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Moody's Analytics
- Board of Directors, MGIC Investment Corporation