Members of CBO's panels of advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives, enabling the agency to gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
CBO has a panel of economic advisers consisting of widely recognized experts. Their areas of expertise include macroeconomics and forecasting, international economics, public finance, labor economics, and financial markets. They have experience working in the private sector, the executive branch, the Federal Reserve system, and economic research. Members of this panel generally serve two-year terms and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through those interactions, CBO benefits from the advisers' understanding of cutting-edge research and their reviews of the agency's economic forecasts. As a result, the quality of CBO's analysis of the economy is greatly enhanced.
Katharine G. Abraham, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Survey Methodology and Director of the Maryland Center for Economics and Policy, University of Maryland
Alan J. Auerbach, Ph.D.
- Robert D. Burch Professor of Economics and Law, University of California, Berkeley
- Chair, President's Economic Advisory Group for Univ. of California
- Member, Academic Advisory Council, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- Member, Advisory Committee, Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. Department of Commerce
- Member, Board of Academic Advisors, International Tax Policy Forum
Markus K. Brunnermeier, Ph.D.
- Edwards S. Sanford Professor of Economics, Princeton University
Seth B. Carpenter, Ph.D.
- Global Chief Economist, Morgan Stanley
Steven J. Davis, Ph.D.
- William H. Abbott Professor of International Business and Economics, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution
- Consultant, Morgan, Lewis, Bockius, LLP
Kathryn M. Dominguez, Ph.D.
- Professor of Public Policy and Economics, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan
Karen Dynan, Ph.D.
- Professor of the Practice, Department of Economics and Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Robert E. Hall, Ph.D.
- Robert and Carole McNeil Hoover Senior Fellow and Professor of Economics, Stanford University
Jan Hatzius, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Goldman Sachs
Donald L. Kohn, Ph.D.
- Robert S. Kerr Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
N. Gregory Mankiw, Ph.D.
- Robert M. Beren Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Author, Cengage Learning
- Author, Macmillan Publishers
Giuseppe Moscarini, PH.D.
- Philip Golden Bartlett Professor of Economics, Yale University
Emi Nakamura, Ph.D.
- Chancellor's Professor of Economics, University of California, Berkeley
Jonathan A. Parker, Ph.D.
- Robert C. Merton (1970) Professor of Finance, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
James M. Poterba, Ph.D.
- Mitsui Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Independent Trustee, College Retirement Equities Fund (CREF) and TIAA-CREF Mutual Funds
Valerie A. Ramey, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, University of California, San Diego
- Executive Board Member and Advisory Panel Member for the Catholic Research Economists Discussion Organization
Joshua D. Rauh, PH.D.
- Ormond Family Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
Ayșegül Șahin, Ph.D.
- Richard J. Gonzalez Regents Chair in Economics, University of Texas, Austin
James H. Stock, Ph.D.
- Harold Hitchings Burbank Professor of Political Economy, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
Kevin M. Warsh, J.D.
- Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institution
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
- Adviser, Duquesne Family Office
- Board of Directors, Coupang Inc.
- Board of Directors, United Parcel Service
- Other work for Bessemer Securities LLC, Brevan Howard, Cerberus Capital Management, GoldenTree Asset Management, and Heitman Asset Management
Mark Zandi, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Moody's Analytics
- Board of Directors, MGIC Investment Corporation
CBO has a panel of health advisers consisting of widely recognized experts in health policy and the health care sector. Members of the panel have a variety of backgrounds, areas of expertise, and experience. They generally serve three-year terms and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through those interactions, CBO and its analyses benefit from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and the latest developments in health care delivery and financing.
Toyin Ajayi, M.D., M.Phil.
- Chief Executive Officer, Cityblock Health
Katherine Baicker, Ph.D.
- Provost and Emmett Dedmon Professor, University of Chicago
- Board of Directors, Eli Lilly
Sue Birch, M.B.A.
- Director, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Chair, Washington State Health Care Cost Transparency Board
- Chair, Washington State Public Employees Benefits Board
Amitabh Chandra, Ph.D.
- Ethel Zimmerman Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Health Policy Research, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Henry and Allison McCance Professor of Business Administration, Harvard University Business School
Michael Chernew, Ph.D.
- Leonard D. Schaeffer Professor of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School
- Partner, VBID Health
- Chair, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
Michael Conway, J.D.
- Colorado Insurance Commissioner, Division of Insurance
Heather Dlugolenski, B.A.
- Senior Vice President, Commercial Strategy and Solutions, Cigna Healthcare
Marisa Domino, PH.D.
- Professor and Executive Director, Center for Health Information and Research, College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University
Craig Garthwaite, Ph.D.
- Herman R. Smith Research Professor in Hospital and Health Services, Professor of Strategy, and Director of the Program on Healthcare, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
Darrell Gaskin, Ph.D.
- William C. and Nancy F. Richardson Professor, Johns Hopkins University
John Haupert, M.SC.
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Grady Health System
- Vice Chair, Georgia Department of Public Health
- Chairman, American Hospital Association Board of Trustees
Caprice Knapp, PH.D.
- Principal, Health Management Associates
Bill Kramer, M.B.A.
- Senior Adviser for National Health Policy, Purchaser Business Group on Health
- Member, Oregon Health Policy Board
Thomas Lee, M.Sc., M.D.
- Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey Associates
Patricia MacTaggart, M.B.A.
- Teaching Instructor and Program Director, MPH@GWU Health Informatics Concentration and MHA@GWU Health Informatics Area of Focus, George Washington University
- Member, Public Policy Committee, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
David Meltzer, M.D., Ph.D.
- Fanny L. Pritzker Professor, Chief of the Section of Hospital Medicine, Director of the Center for Health and the Social Sciences, and Chair of the Committee on Clinical and Translational Science, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago
Vincent Mor, PH.D.
- Professor of Health Services, Policy and Practice, and Florence Pirce Grant University Professor, School of Public Health, Brown University
Peter Neumann, Sc.D.
- Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Tufts University; Director, Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health, Tufts Medical Center
Lewis Sandy, M.D., M.B.A.
- Co-founder and Principal, SuLu Consulting, LLC
Kosali Simon, Ph.D.
- Herman B. Wells Endowed Professor, Indiana University
- President, American Society of Health Economics
Neeraj Sood, Ph.D.
- Professor, Sol Price School of Public Policy, University of Southern California
- Senior Fellow and Director, COVID Initiative, Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics, University of Southern California
- Amazon Scholar, Amazon.com
Cori Uccello, M.A.A.A., F.S.A., F.C.A., M.P.P.
- Senior Health Fellow, American Academy of Actuaries
From 2018 to 2020, a panel of technical reviewers also provided feedback to CBO during the development of the next generation of its health insurance simulation model, which was first used for the spring 2019 baseline projections.