Members of CBO's panels of advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives so that the agency can gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
CBO has a panel of economic advisers consisting of widely recognized experts. Their areas of expertise include macroeconomics and forecasting, international economics, public finance, labor economics, and financial markets. They have experience working in the private sector, the executive branch, the Federal Reserve system, and economic research. Members of this panel generally serve two-year terms, and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through these interactions, CBO benefits from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and their reviews of the agency’s economic forecasts. As a result, the quality of CBO’s analysis of the economy is greatly enhanced.
Katharine G. Abraham, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Survey Methodology and Director of the Maryland Center for Economics and Policy, University of Maryland
Alan J. Auerbach, Ph.D.
- Robert D. Burch Professor of Economics and Law, University of California, Berkeley
David Autor, Ph.D.
- Ford Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Olivier Blanchard, Ph.D.
- C. Fred Bergsten Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics
- Author, Pearson
Markus K. Brunnermeier, Ph.D.
- Edwards S. Sanford Professor of Economics, Princeton University
Seth B. Carpenter, Ph.D.
Steven J. Davis, Ph.D.
- William H. Abbott Professor of International Business and Economics, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
Kathryn Dominguez, Ph.D.
- Professor of Public Policy and Economics, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan
Karen Dynan, Ph.D.
- Professor of the Practice, Department of Economics, Harvard University
Robert E. Hall, Ph.D.
- Robert and Carole McNeil Hoover Senior Fellow and Professor of Economics, Stanford University
Jan Hatzius, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Goldman Sachs
Donald L. Kohn, Ph.D.
- Robert S. Kerr Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
N. Gregory Mankiw, Ph.D.
- Robert M. Beren Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Author, Cengage Learning
- Author, Macmillan Publishers
Emi Nakamura, Ph.D.
- Chancellor's Professor of Economics, University of California, Berkeley
Jonathan A. Parker, Ph.D.
- Robert C. Merton (1970) Professor of Finance, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
James M. Poterba, Ph.D.
- Mitsui Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Independent Trustee, College Retirement Equity Fund (CREF) and TIAA-CREF Mutual Funds
Valerie A. Ramey, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, University of California, San Diego
Aysegul Sahin, Ph.D.
- Richard J. Gonzalez Regents Chair in Economics, University of Texas, Austin
James Stock, Ph.D.
- Harold Hitchings Burbank Professor of Political Economy, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
Kevin Warsh, J.D.
- Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institution
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
- Adviser, Duquesne Family Office
- Board of Directors, Coupang Inc.
- Board of Directors, United Parcel Service
- Other work for Bessemer Securities LLC, Brevan Howard, Cerebus Capital Management, Goldentree Asset Management, and Heitman Asset Management
Mark Zandi, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Moody's Analytics
- Board of Directors, MGIC Investment Corporation
CBO has a panel of health advisers consisting of widely recognized experts in health policy and the health care sector. Members of the panel have a variety of backgrounds, areas of expertise, and experience. They generally serve three-year terms and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through those interactions, CBO and its analyses benefit from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and the latest developments in health care delivery and financing.
Katherine Baicker, Ph.D.
- Dean, Emmett Dedmon Professor, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- Board of Directors, Eli Lilly
Amitabh Chandra, Ph.D.
- Ethel Zimmerman Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Health Policy Research, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Henry and Allison McCance Professor of Business Administration, Harvard University Business School
Michael Chernew, Ph.D.
- Leonard D. Schaeffer Professor of Health Care Policy and Director of Healthcare Markets and Regulation Lab, Harvard Medical School
- Partner, VBID Health
Leemore Dafny, Ph.D.
- Bruce V. Rauner Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
- Academic Affiliate, Bates White Economic Consulting
Craig Garthwaite, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
Gautam Gowrisankaran, Ph.D.
- Arizona Public Service Professor and Director of Economics Graduate Studies, University of Arizona
- Expert, Cornerstone Research
Kate Ho, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Co-director of the Center for Health and Wellbeing, Princeton University
David Lansky, Ph.D.
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Pacific Business Group on Health
Thomas Lee, M.Sc., M.D.
- Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey Associates
Catherine E. Livingston, J.D.
- Partner, Jones Day
Teresa Miller, J.D.
- Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Human Services
Peter Neumann, Sc.D.
- Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Tufts University; Director of the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health, Tufts Medical Center
Jonathan Perlin, M.D., Ph.D.
- President, Clinical Services, and Chief Medical Officer, Hospital Corporation of America
Daniel Polsky, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Professor of Health Economics, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
Lewis Sandy, M.D., F.A.C.P.
- Executive Vice President, Clinical Advancement, UnitedHealth Group
Cori E. Uccello, M.A.A.A., F.S.A., F.C.A., M.P.P.
- Senior Health Fellow, American Academy of Actuaries
From 2018 to 2020, a panel of technical reviewers also provided feedback to CBO during the development of the next generation of its health insurance simulation model, which was first used for the spring 2019 baseline projections.