Members of CBO's panels of advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives, enabling the agency to gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
CBO has a panel of economic advisers consisting of widely recognized experts. Their areas of expertise include macroeconomics and forecasting, international economics, public finance, labor economics, and financial markets. They have experience working in the private sector, the executive branch, the Federal Reserve system, and economic research. Members of this panel generally serve two-year terms and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through those interactions, CBO benefits from the advisers' understanding of cutting-edge research and their reviews of the agency's economic forecasts. As a result, the quality of CBO's analysis of the economy is greatly enhanced.
Katharine G. Abraham, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Survey Methodology and Director of the Maryland Center for Economics and Policy, University of Maryland
Alan J. Auerbach, Ph.D.
- Robert D. Burch Professor of Economics and Law, University of California, Berkeley
David H. Autor, Ph.D.
- Ford Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Markus K. Brunnermeier, Ph.D.
- Edwards S. Sanford Professor of Economics, Princeton University
Seth B. Carpenter, Ph.D.
- Global Chief Economist, Morgan Stanley
Steven J. Davis, Ph.D.
- William H. Abbott Professor of International Business and Economics, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
Kathryn M. Dominguez, Ph.D.
- Professor of Public Policy and Economics, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan
Karen Dynan, Ph.D.
- Professor of the Practice, Department of Economics and Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Robert E. Hall, Ph.D.
- Robert and Carole McNeil Hoover Senior Fellow and Professor of Economics, Stanford University
Jan Hatzius, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Goldman Sachs
Donald L. Kohn, Ph.D.
- Robert S. Kerr Senior Fellow, Brookings Institution
N. Gregory Mankiw, Ph.D.
- Robert M. Beren Professor of Economics, Harvard University
- Author, Cengage Learning
- Author, Macmillan Publishers
Emi Nakamura, Ph.D.
- Chancellor's Professor of Economics, University of California, Berkeley
Jonathan A. Parker, Ph.D.
- Robert C. Merton (1970) Professor of Finance, Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
James M. Poterba, Ph.D.
- Mitsui Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Independent Trustee, College Retirement Equities Fund (CREF) and TIAA-CREF Mutual Funds
Valerie A. Ramey, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, University of California, San Diego
Joshua D. Rauh, PH.D.
- Ormond Family Professor of Finance, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
Ayșegül Șahin, Ph.D.
- Richard J. Gonzalez Regents Chair in Economics, University of Texas, Austin
James H. Stock, Ph.D.
- Harold Hitchings Burbank Professor of Political Economy, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
Kevin M. Warsh, J.D.
- Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institution
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Business, Stanford University
- Adviser, Duquesne Family Office
- Board of Directors, Coupang Inc.
- Board of Directors, United Parcel Service
- Other work for Bessemer Securities LLC, Brevan Howard, Cerberus Capital Management, GoldenTree Asset Management, and Heitman Asset Management
Mark Zandi, Ph.D.
- Chief Economist, Moody's Analytics
- Board of Directors, MGIC Investment Corporation
CBO has a panel of health advisers consisting of widely recognized experts in health policy and the health care sector. Members of the panel have a variety of backgrounds, areas of expertise, and experience. They generally serve three-year terms and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through those interactions, CBO and its analyses benefit from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and the latest developments in health care delivery and financing.
Toyin Ajayi, M.D., M.Phil.
- Chief Executive Officer, Cityblock Health
Katherine Baicker, Ph.D.
- Dean, Emmett Dedmon Professor, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- Board of Directors, Eli Lilly
Sue Birch, M.B.A., BS.N., R.N.
- Director, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Health Policy Advisory Council Committee Member, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Chair, Washington State Universal Health Care Work Group, Public School Employee’s Benefits Boards
Amitabh Chandra, Ph.D.
- Ethel Zimmerman Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Health Policy Research, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Henry and Allison McCance Professor of Business Administration, Harvard University Business School
Michael Chernew, Ph.D.
- Leonard D. Schaeffer Professor of Health Care Policy and Director of Healthcare Markets and Regulation Lab, Harvard Medical School
- Partner, VBID Health
- Chair, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
Michael Conway, J.D.
- Colorado Insurance Commissioner, Department of Regulatory Agencies
Leemore Dafny, Ph.D.
- Bruce V. Rauner Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
- Partner, Bates White Economic Consulting
Craig Garthwaite, Ph.D.
- Herman R. Smith Research Professor, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
Darrell Gaskin, Ph.D.
- William C. and Nancy F. Richardson Professor, Johns Hopkins University
Gautam Gowrisankaran, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, Department of Economics at Columbia University
- Expert, Cornerstone Research
Kate Ho, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Codirector of the Center for Health and Wellbeing, Princeton University
Caprice Knapp, PH.D.
- Director, Medical Services, North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services
Bill Kramer, M.B.A.
- Executive Director, National Health Policy at Purchaser Business Group on Health
Thomas Lee, M.Sc., M.D.
- Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey Associates
Patricia MacTaggart, M.B.A.
- Teaching Instructor and Program Director of HealthInformatics@GW, George Washington University
- Program Manager, Veterans Health Administration
David Meltzer, M.D., Ph.D.
- Chief of the Section of Hospital Medicine, Director of the Center for Health and the Social Sciences, and Chair of the Committee on Clinical and Translational Science, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago
Vincent Mor, PH.D.
- Professor of Health Services, Policy & Practice and the Florence Pirce Grant University Professor, Brown University School of Public Health
Peter Neumann, Sc.D.
- Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Tufts University; Director of the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health, Tufts Medical Center
Jonathan Perlin, M.D., PH.D., M.H.S.A.
- President and CEO, The Joint Commission
Lewis Sandy, M.D., M.B.A.
- Executive Vice President, Clinical Advancement, UnitedHealth Group
- Senior Fellow, Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Kosali Simon, Ph.D.
- Herman B. Wells Endowed Professor, Indiana University
Cori E. Uccello, M.A.A.A., F.S.A., F.C.A., M.P.P.
- Senior Health Fellow, American Academy of Actuaries
From 2018 to 2020, a panel of technical reviewers also provided feedback to CBO during the development of the next generation of its health insurance simulation model, which was first used for the spring 2019 baseline projections.