CBO has a panel of health advisers consisting of widely recognized experts in health policy and the health care sector. Members of CBO’s panels of advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives so that the agency can gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. Their areas of expertise include actuarial analysis, clinical care, evaluation of health care effectiveness, financing of care, health care markets, industrial organization, and regulation. They have experience working as doctors, in the health insurance industry, in federal and state government, and in research on health and health care. Members of this panel generally serve three-year terms, and are sometimes reappointed. The agency hosts periodic meetings of the advisers and solicits their views between meetings. Through these interactions, CBO benefits from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and the latest developments in health care delivery and financing. As a result, the quality of CBO’s analysis of health policy is greatly enhanced. Although such experts provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
Katherine Baicker, Ph.D.
- Emmett Dedmon Professor and Dean, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- Board of Directors, Eli Lilly
John Bertko, F.S.A., M.A.A.A.
- Chief Actuary, Covered California
Thomas Betlach, M.P.A.
- Director, Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System
M. Kate Bundorf, M.B.A., M.P.H., Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of Health Research and Policy, School of Medicine, Stanford University
Lawrence P. Casalino, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
- Livingston Farrand Professor of Public Health and Chief of the Division of Healthcare Policy and Economics, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Amitabh Chandra, Ph.D.
- Malcolm Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Health Policy Research, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
Michael Chernew, Ph.D.
- Leonard D. Schaeffer Professor of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School
Leemore Dafny, Ph.D.
- MBA Class of 1960 Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
Roger Feldman, Ph.D.
- Blue Cross Professor of Health Insurance and Professor of Economics, University of Minnesota
Amy Finkelstein, Ph.D.
- John & Jennie S. MacDonald Professor of Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Jay M. Gellert, B.A.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Ventas
Roy Goldman, Ph.D., F.S.A., M.A.A.A., C.E.R.A.
- Board of Directors, Society of Actuaries
Brent James, M.Stat., M.D.
- Chief Quality Officer and Executive Director of the Institute for Healthcare Leadership, Intermountain Healthcare
David Lansky, Ph.D.
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Pacific Business Group on Health
Thomas Lee, M.Sc., M.D.
- Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey Associates
Teresa D. Miller, J.D.
- Acting Secretary, Department of Human Services, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Peter Neumann, Sc.D.
- Director of the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health in the Tufts Medical Center and Professor of Medicine in the School of Medicine, Tufts University
Jonathan Perlin, M.D., Ph.D.
- President, Clinical Services, and Chief Medical Officer, Hospital Corporation of America
Daniel Polsky, Ph.D.
- Professor of Medicine in the Perelman School of Medicine, Robert D. Eilers Professor of Health Care Management in the Wharton School, and Executive Director of the Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania
Lewis G. Sandy, M.D.
- Senior Vice President, Clinical Advancement, UnitedHealth Group
Cori E. Uccello, M.A.A.A., F.S.A., F.C.A., M.P.P.
- Senior Health Fellow, American Academy of Actuaries