S. 3388 would require the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to:
• Provide electronic notification of its decisions about claims for benefits,
• Publish several reports and make certain documents publicly available,
• Establish internship programs,
• Increase outreach to groups and individuals that represent veterans, and
• Permit contractors who help process benefits claims to view federal tax information.
Under current law, VA must notify people by mail of its decisions on their claims for benefits. Section 302 would require VA to establish a system where people may elect to receive electronic notification of decisions regarding their application for benefits. Under the system, people may revoke their consent to receive electronic notification at any time.