CBO’s Panel of Health Advisers consists of widely recognized experts in health policy and the health care sector. Members of the panel have a variety of backgrounds, areas of expertise, and experience. We host an annual meeting of the panel so that its members can discuss important issues in their areas of expertise and advise us on our analyses. In addition, we engage with members of the panel throughout the year—for example, calling on them for advice on how to address analytical questions that arise in the preparation of studies and cost estimates. Through those interactions, we and our analyses benefit from the advisers’ understanding of cutting-edge research and the latest real-world developments in health care delivery and financing. Although the advisers provide considerable assistance, CBO is solely responsible for the accuracy of its work.
Today, I would like to announce the members of the Panel of Health Advisers for the coming year:
Toyin Ajayi, M.D., M.Phil.
- Chief Executive Officer, Cityblock Health
Katherine Baicker, Ph.D.
- Dean, Emmett Dedmon Professor, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
- Board of Directors, Eli Lilly
Sue Birch, M.B.A., BS.N., R.N.
- Director, Washington State Health Care Authority
- Health Policy Advisory Council Committee Member, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Chair, Washington State Universal Health Care Work Group, Public School Employee’s Benefits Boards
Amitabh Chandra, Ph.D.
- Ethel Zimmerman Wiener Professor of Public Policy and Director of Health Policy Research, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; Henry and Allison McCance Professor of Business Administration, Harvard University Business School
Michael Chernew, Ph.D.
- Leonard D. Schaeffer Professor of Health Care Policy and Director of Healthcare Markets and Regulation Lab, Harvard Medical School
- Partner, VBID Health
- Chair, Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
Michael Conway, J.D.
- Colorado Insurance Commissioner, Department of Regulatory Agencies
Leemore Dafny, Ph.D.
- Bruce V. Rauner Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School
- Partner, Bates White Economic Consulting
Craig Garthwaite, Ph.D.
- Herman R. Smith Research Professor, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University
Darrell Gaskin, Ph.D.
- William C. and Nancy F. Richardson Professor, Johns Hopkins University
Gautam Gowrisankaran, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics, Department of Economics at Columbia University
- Expert, Cornerstone Research
Kate Ho, Ph.D.
- Professor of Economics and Codirector of the Center for Health and Wellbeing, Princeton University
Caprice Knapp, PH.D.
- Director, Medical Services, North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services
Bill Kramer, M.B.A.
- Executive Director, National Health Policy at Purchaser Business Group on Health
Thomas Lee, M.Sc., M.D.
- Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey Associates
Patricia MacTaggart, M.B.A.
- Teaching Instructor and Program Director of HealthInformatics@GW, George Washington University
- Program Manager, Veterans Health Administration
David Meltzer, M.D., Ph.D.
- Chief of the Section of Hospital Medicine, Director of the Center for Health and the Social Sciences, and Chair of the Committee on Clinical and Translational Science, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago
Vincent Mor, PH.D.
- Professor of Health Services, Policy & Practice and the Florence Pirce Grant University Professor, Brown University School of Public Health
Peter Neumann, Sc.D.
- Professor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Tufts University; Director of the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health, Tufts Medical Center
Jonathan Perlin, M.D., PH.D., M.H.S.A.
- President and CEO, The Joint Commission
Lewis Sandy, M.D., M.B.A.
- Executive Vice President, Clinical Advancement, UnitedHealth Group
- Senior Fellow, Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Minnesota School of Public Health
Kosali Simon, Ph.D.
- Herman B. Wells Endowed Professor, Indiana University
Cori E. Uccello, M.A.A.A., F.S.A., F.C.A., M.P.P.
- Senior Health Fellow, American Academy of Actuaries
Members of CBO’s Panel of Health Advisers are selected to represent a variety of perspectives and backgrounds so that the agency can gather information and insights from experts with diverse views as well as from the interactions between those experts at panel meetings. The panelists’ affiliations are shown on CBO’s website. CBO requires panelists to disclose to the agency any substantial political activity in which they may be involved and any significant financial interests they may have.
CBO also has a Panel of Economic Advisers.
Phillip L. Swagel is CBO’s Director.